Saturday 29 August 2009

Acrostic








Flowers, I's acrostic poem,
August 2009

Something that's always interested me is I's enthusiasm for poetry. We've read quite a lot of poetry to her over the years, as we've read countless other books, but poetry seems to be her preferred form. She became fascinated by acrostic poems several years ago and always enjoys writing them. The one shown here was written for I's maternal great-grandmother's 90th birthday. I decided to look up 'acrostic' in my dictionary and found this definition: 'a poem, word puzzle, or other composition in which certain letters in each line form a word or words'. Therefore this simple literary exercise could be expanded and made much more subtle. I shall try to find some more intricate examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment